Lead Equipment Operator, Recycling Center
Company: City of Loveland
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Serves as a lead worker at the Recycling Center, for a crew of
both year-round and seasonal full-time employees. Responsible for
overseeing Equipment Operators & Seasonal Attendants engaged in the
daily operations of the Recycling Center and roll-off dumpster
program. Tasked with making small purchases of site supplies, and
with making frontline decisions regarding logistics and customer
service. Responsible for planning and assigning tasks associated
with daily operations of the Recycling Center and the roll-off
dumpster program. Responsible for ensuring site safety, efficient
operations, and excellent customer service. This position reports
to the Solid Waste Recycling Center Crew Supervisor. The current
work hours are 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Weekend shifts may be
The salary range for this position is $23.90- $35.82 per hour
with a hiring range of $23.90 - $29.86 DOQ.
Position will close to applicants on: 4/30/21 at 4:30 P.M.
This position requires candidates hold a CDL License. Per the
updated 2021 DOT Guidelines, be sure you are registered for the DOT
Clearinghouse: Clearinghouse Webpage. Additionally, these
instructions will provide you guidance on registering Clearinghouse
Instructions. Per the guidelines, clearing House approval is
required for any candidate scheduled for an interview
With over 300 days of sunshine, proximity to Rocky Mountain
National Park, endless outdoor recreation options and a thriving
arts, brewery, foodie and shopping scene Loveland is an award
winning City. In 2020, Loveland was the only Colorado City to win
the 2020 Governor's Award for Downtown Excellence. Loveland is the
top residential recycling City in the state for 4 consecutive
years. Additionally, Loveland has consistently been ranked as one
of the top places to live, work and raise a family in the U.S.
Featured by USA Today in 2017 as one of the Most Idyllic
Picturesque towns in America. As the rest of the world is figuring
out what we have known for quite some time Loveland, Colorado has
EVERYTHING YOU LOVE! ~ Love What You Do, Land With Us!
Benefit Eligible Benefits Package Includes:
- 2 Medical plan options - HDHP & PPO
- Medical and Dependent Daycare flexible spending
- Flexible Spending - Medical and Dependent Daycare
- Retirement -401(a) and 457
- Paid time off including Holiday, Vacation and Medical
- Short and Long term disability
- Life insurance
- Wellness Clinic and programming
- City of Loveland training opportunities
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Receive daily tasks and work orders from supervisor.
- Prioritize daily tasks and coordinate with site staff to
- Provide training and orientation to new employees in all facets
of their job functions.
- Make decisions and solve problems that arise at the Recycling
Center, occasionally as the acting supervisor when the supervisor
is not present.
- Ensure that Recycling Center staff and customers adhere to site
- Communicate, demonstrate, and enforce safety in the transport
of roll-off containers.
- Operate front-end loader to push organics piles, load scrap
metal into roll-off dumpsters, compact dumpster contents, load
crushed glass into semi-trailers, load mulch into customer pickups
and trailers, remove snow, and perform other grounds
- Operate roll-off trucks to transport containers between the
Recycling Center, the landfill, the Material Recovery Facility,
and/or customer's homes.
- Operate stationary compactors and decouple/reconnect roll-off
- Provide consistently excellent service to all Recycling Center
customers and ensure that all site staff are doing the same.
- Address unsafe, non-compliant, and/or confrontational customer
conduct in a calm and tactful manner.
- Report threatening, violent or dangerous customer behavior to
supervisor or police.
- Perform daily inspections and routine maintenance on assigned
- Remove contaminants from incoming yard wastes and recyclable
- Respond to customer questions with relevant, informative, and
- Act upon opportunities to educate customers on the how and why
to recycling right.
- Maintain daily inventories and contact vendors to arrange for
pick-ups and drop-offs.
- Process daily paperwork such as bills of lading, landfill and
Recycling Center receipts, purchase receipts, etc.
- Support other Recycling Center staff, as circumstances
necessitate, by taking turns at the gatehouse window and
- Inspect and measure (when applicable) incoming customer loads,
while also checking permits and charging corresponding fees.
- Serve as the acting onsite supervisor during weekend
- Continually look for potential improvements to Recycling Center
operations and services, which includes collaborating with the site
supervisor to research and pursue opportunities to expand the list
of materials that are accepted and recycled.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assist with citywide snow removal operations using several
different types of Solid Waste vehicles and equipment as
necessitated, including a front-end loader, UTVs, pickup trucks,
and plow-mounted commercial collection trucks.
- Collaborate with and assist other City divisions and
departments with events and projects.
- Considered essential personnel required to report for duty in
response to community emergencies (e.g. natural disaster, fire,
flood, blizzard, etc.).
- Conduct educational presentations on recycling to local
community groups and public schools. (This would be purely
voluntary and only occasional.)
- Does not have direct supervisory responsibility for assigned
employees, but provides coordination, general information and
feedback to the Recycling Center Crew Supervisor regarding
employees' performance and skills enhancement.
- Responsible for crew safety, productivity, and customer
- Trains and directs other Recycling Center staff in their
assigned duties and equipment. To a limited extent, serves as the
acting onsite supervisor in the Recycling Center Crew Supervisor's
absence; primarily on weekends.
JOB QUALIFICATIONS (must possess the following):
- Excellent customer service skills, including the ability to
respond with calmness and tact when dealing with confrontational
and/or irate customers.
- Working knowledge of recycling industry, equipment, practices
- Knowledge, experience, skill, and ability to operate a
front-end loader, roll-off truck, stationary compactor, tandem axle
commercial truck, and forklift.
- Experience and ability to use hand tools and power tools.
- Good record-keeping skills and ability to learn and use basic
computer programs such as Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Must be able to work odd hours, including weekends and
overtime, in order to assist with snow removal and other operations
- Ability to work safely and follow all established safety rules,
regulations, and procedures.
- Ability to communicate well with citizens, co-workers,
subordinate employees, supervisors, and other City employees.
- Ability to motivate others and work calmly in a stressful and
- Ability to prioritize and multitask in response to heavy
workloads and a busy schedule.
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Ability to help mitigate and resolve conflicts that might arise
amongst Recycling Center staff members or between customers and
- Ability to provide clear, patient training and direction to new
Accountability, Integrity, Transparency & Honoring the Public
Trust, Collaboration, Innovation, Safety, Excellent Service with
Courtesy and Kindness
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES:
Poise & Professionalism, Adaptability, Heavy Equipment
Operation, Commercial Truck Driving (Class B), Basic Mechanical
Aptitude, Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, Independence, Team
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Three (3) years of experience in the solid waste industry,
including the operation of solid waste collection vehicles is
- Demonstrated experience working and operating a front-end
loader and tandem axle vehicle is preferred.
- Five (5) years' experience in customer relations with extensive
public contact is preferred.
LICENSURE AND/OR CERTIFICATIONS:
Must possess a valid Class "B" Commercial Driver License with
Air Brake Endorsement.
MATERIAL AND EQUIPMENT DIRECTLY USED:
- Front-End Loader
- Roll-Off Dumpster Truck
- Utility Task Vehicle (UTV)
- Two-Way Radio
- Cell Phone
- Cash Register
- Stationary Compactors
- Power & Hand Tools
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
A typical workday will consist of arriving at the Public Works
Administration building, or Recycling Center, by 7:00 a.m.,
attending a brief crew meeting, discussing the day's workload with
the Recycling Center Crew Supervisor, and then beginning assigned
daily tasks at the Recycling Center. While performing the duties of
this job, the employee is regularly required to push, pull, kneel,
stoop, crouch, crawl, climb, reach, move, lift (up to 50 lbs.) and
expend strenuous manual labor. Manual dexterity is required to
complete work tasks through safe and proper operation of all
equipment and tools. Required to follow all established safety
rules, regulations and procedures. Will need to periodically sit or
stand at the gatehouse window for extended periods. Will be
subjected to temperature and weather extremes; dust, fumes, and
odors from decomposing yard wastes; and the hazards associated with
numerous vehicles and heavy equipment operating at the site.
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive
listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required
of the employee.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable qualified
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
A driving record and criminal history background check will be
obtained pre-employment. Selection process will comply with DOT
regulations including post-offer drug screening and previous
employer safety performance request.
Keywords: City of Loveland, Loveland , Lead Equipment Operator, Recycling Center, Other , Loveland, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!